Wilson Family Funeral Chapel is an independent family-owned full-service funeral home and crematory with locations in Atwater and Merced, California. The story of our funeral home begins in Atwater; many years before it became a funeral home. The building was the original St. Anthony's Catholic Church built in 1913. In 1958, the Diocese of Fresno relocated St. Anthony's to its current location on Winton Way and the old church was converted into a mortuary in 1959 by Vernon H. Worden the owner of Worden Funeral Chapel in Chowchilla. This was the opening of his second location and the first funeral home in Atwater. Worden Atwater Funeral Chapel was operated by Vern Worden for 30 years until his retirement in 1992. He sold the funeral home to Kim and Judy Wilson who had recently moved to California from New Jersey. Kim and Judy took upon themselves to remodel the funeral home upon purchasing it. After 10 weeks of renovation, Wilson Family Funeral Chapel opened its doors in September of 1992.
In 1994, the Wilson Family purchased Livermore Mortuary in the city of Livermore, opening their second location. After 12 years of serving families in Livermore and the neighboring communities, Wilson Family Funeral Chapel of Livermore closed its doors in 2006. In 2008 a new chapel was opened in Merced, so the Wilsons could offer their services to families in Merced. In 2007, the Wilsons purchased Whitehurst-McNamara Funeral Service in Hanford and Miller's Tulare Funeral Home in Tulare, expanding and continuing to dedicate their services to the families of the Central Valley.